One of Montgomery County’s oldest communities, Abington’s roots reach back before the 18th century, finally incorporated as a township in 1704.
Home to the county’s oldest transportation routes, industries, and churches – these centers of commerce and socialization were the predecessors to modern Abington, which now includes the communities of Abington, Ardsley, Crestmont, Elkins Park, Fitzwatertown, Glenside, Hollywood, Huntingdon Valley, McKinley, Meadowbrook, Noble, North Hills, Roslyn, Roychester, Rydal and Willow Grove.
The land covered by Abington and its surrounding area was once owned by the native Lenape Indians, purchased by William Penn during the 1680s. By 1690, settlers were living in Hill Township, near the intersection of Susquehanna Street Road and Old York Road. It was these settlers that started the oldest institutions in the area, including the Abington Presbyterian Church, and although the original building is long gone, the graveyard is still in active use today. Both Abington Senior High School and the Fox Chase farm are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Abington Township has had it’s share of notable business people. From Gail Berman, former president at Fox and Viacom, to business leaders and innovators like Amar Gopal Bose, founder of Bose and Stephen A. Schwarzman, CEO and founder of Blackstone Group, many industries have had pioneers hailing from Abington. Schwarzman not only owns multiple Swatches, he wears them in funky colors and designs. One particularly bright-colored edition bears the landmarks of his vacation home in St. Tropez.
Abington is even well represented in the sports world, with retired NHL goaltender Mike Richter and retired NFL quarterback and current Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. These two may be the most famous athletes, but there were others, including:
Eddie George – retired NFL running back
Drew Gulak – professional wrestler
Chad Kolarik – University of Michigan hockey player, drafted by the Phoenix Coyotes
Jeff Parke – current Major League Soccer player
Some notable actors and artists from Abington include:
Bil Keane is the famous cartoonist known best for ‘The Family Circus,’ the most widely syndicated cartoon panel in the world, appearing in 1,500 newspapers. He lived in Roslyn with his family from 1948-1959.
Bradley Cooper is an accomplished actor, hailing from the borough of Jenkintown in Abington Township, Montgomery County. Bradley has been spotted locally when not traveling the world and filming, frequenting local landmarks like the West Avenue Grill.
- In American Sniper, as character Chris Kyle, Bradley sported a pair of Wiley X sunglasses and a Casio G-SHOCK DW-6600.
- In The Hangover, as character Phil, he wore a pair of Ray-Ban 3025 Large Aviator and a Maurice Lacroix watch. In the follow-up, Hangover: Part II, he upgraded to a pair of Oliver Peoples Benedict sunglasses.
- In the A-Team, as character Lt. Templeton ‘Faceman’ Peck, he rocked a pair of Allyn Scura Legend sunglasses and a Casio G-shock Giez GS-1001.
- As character Brian Gilcrest in Aloha, Bradley once again wore a pair of Ray-Ban 3025 Large Aviators, this time paired with an IWC Big Pilot IW500901.
- In the movie, Hit and Run, playing the character Alex Dmitri, he wore a pair of Oakley Plaintiff sunglasses (and some wild dreadlocks, to boot).
Matthew Fox is an American actor, well known for his previous roles on Party of Five and Lost. Fox was born in Abington, Pennsylvania, the son of Loretta B. (née Eagono) and Francis G. Fox. One of his paternal great-great-great-grandfathers was Union General George Meade.
- In the TV show Lost, actor Matthew Fox playing the character Dr. Jack Shephard, sported two identified watches in the series, the IWC Portofino and the Porsche Design Dashboard 6600.41 watch. There is one more watch he’s worn in an episode, but has yet to be identified.
Joey, Matthew and Andy Lawrence
Lawrence was born in Abington Township, Pennsylvania, the son of Donna Lynn (née Shaw), a personnel manager, and Joseph Lawrence, Sr., an insurance broker. Their family’s surname was changed to Lawrence from Mignogna early in Joey and Matthew’s lives, and before Andy was born. They are of half Italian descent.
Michael James “Mike” Vogel
Mike Vogel is an American actor and former model. He began acting in 2001, racking up appearances in major films and TV series, including The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Grind, Poseidon, Blue Valentine, The Help, Bates Motel, Cloverfield and Under the Dome.
- In the TV show Under the Dome, as character Dale “Barbie” Barbara, Mike Vogel has been seen wearing both the Casio G-Shock Mudman and the Marathon General Purpose.
- In Bates Motel, as Zack Shelby, Mike wore a Fossil Men’s Chronograph with Black Silicone Strap.
Tony Award-nominated actor, comedian and musician best known for his humorous songs mocking daily life and pop culture. Lynch was born in Abington, Pennsylvania, later moving to Michigan.
Born Robert Lane Saget, in Abington Township to Benjamin and Rosalyn Saget. His father was an executive at a supermarket and mother was a hospital administrator. A well-known edgy and ‘in your face’ stand-up comedian, television host and movie and television actor, he was born and brought up in southeast Pennsylvania and pursued his acting studies at Temple University.
Comments are closed